3800 Finnerty Road (Ring Road)
- Understand the basics of contract law –intention, offer, acceptance, consideration, capacity and legality
- Be familiar with various CCDC/CCA contracts -how and why they are used
- Be familiar with various legal terms used in contracts
- Understand the contract responsibilities of various parties
- Understand the bidding process and contractual obligations
- Define back charges and how to avoid them
- Avoid construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Write RFIs and Change Orders
- Understand the dispute resolution process – negotiation, mediation, arbitration, and litigation
- Use the Builder’s Lien Act to obtain security
- Use the small claims process to collect debts
- Understand environmental law and how it impacts projects
- Understand safety law and it impacts construction companies
- Understand how specifications and drawings fit within the contractual hierarchy
- Understand the contractual relationship between contractor and sub-contractor
- Compile and submit proper extras and claims
- The basic concepts of contract law
- CCA, CCDC and other contracts
- Legal terms used in contracts
- Bidding process and contractual obligations
- Specifications, drawings and the contractual hierarchy
- Contractual relationships between contractor and sub-contractor
- Compiling and submitting proper extras and claims
- Defining back charges and how to avoid them
- Avoiding construction disputes and claims from the site level
- Writing RFIs and Change Orders
- The dispute resolution process
- The Builder’s Lien Act
- The Small Claims process
- Environmental law
- Safety legislation and regulations
Two days (16 hours) of lessons with instructors plus an online portion involving research, reading and answering questions (7-8 hours) that will be marked by the instructors.
To receive your CPD accredited certificate you must complete the online portion after the 2 day course.
Tim Williams MBA, B.Econ., CPA, GSC, is the President of BGC Partners Inc. Tim has worked with numerous construction companies for over twenty years. He is a Gold Seal Certified project manager. He is an experienced and sought after trainer who has trained construction owners and managers on behalf of construction industry associations across Western Canada.
David Letkemann BBA, LLB, is a partner at Linley Welwood. David practices in the field of civil litigation, including personal injury, commercial, estate and construction law. He is an experienced litigator having participated in numerous trials in the BC Supreme Court and has also appeared before the Court of Appeal on several occasions.
Please contact Ally Bodnar at 604-298-7795 or email@example.com for more information.
Please note the following before you purchase your training:
- In-class courses will be conducted with full adherence to health and safety guidelines as prescribed by BC’s Provincial Health Officer regarding the current pandemic. Students agree to follow facility and instructor directions regarding health and safety protocols while attending training.
- Students who attend in-class training are fully and personally responsible for their own safety and actions while and during class sessions with the recognition that they may be at risk of contracting COVID-19.
- Students who have experienced symptoms such as fever, fatigue, difficulty in breathing, or dry cough or exhibiting any other symptoms relating to COVID-19 or any communicable disease within 14 days before in-class training starts will not be permitted to attend training.
- Students who have traveled by sea or by air internationally (including the United States) within 14 days before in-class training starts will not be permitted to attend training.
- Students who reside in a household with someone who has traveled by sea or by air internationally (including the United States) within 14 days before in-class training starts will not be permitted to attend training.
- Students who have been diagnosed to be infected of COVID-19 virus within 30 days before in-class training starts will not be permitted to attend training.
- Students who reside in a household with someone who has been diagnosed to be infected of COVID-19 virus within 30 days before in-class training starts will not be permitted to attend training.
COURSE REGISTRATION CANCELLATIONS, TRANSFERS & REFUNDS:
Five (5) or more business days before the course: Full Refund of Registration Fee.
Less than five (5) business days before the course/day of the course: Complimentary substitution of another member of your company/team. No refunds. No transfers of registration fee to a future course date.
COVID-19 Update: If you are experiencing symptoms please contact us and stay home. We will refund attendees who are unable to attend training due to self-isolating.
COURSE CANCELLATION BY ICBA:
ICBA may have to postpone or cancel courses due to insufficient enrolment, in which case ICBA’s liability will be limited to a refund of the registration fee.