Please note that this is an 8-hour course that takes place over 2 days. Part 1 is Dec 1, and Part 2 is Dec 2. Both sessions run from 8:00am-12:00pm. There is no opportunity to re-schedule or for a partial refund if a student cannot attend both sessions.
You will receive login instructions from the instructor in advance of the workshop.
This two-half day course specifically focuses on personnel in the construction industry. It guides them through the accounting system and includes everything they need to know about accounting practices, procedures, and processes.
The course was built based on my experience that businesspeople need to understand what accountants do and why, so they can effectively use the resulting information - the financial reports. The course fills the gaps for those who have not been trained in accounting processes and procedures. This is not a sit and listen event but an interactive course with hands-on exercises that walk participants through each step of the accounting process.
Accounting is a language unto itself and, thankfully, non-financial personnel, and other employees with financial responsibility, can learn to be conversant with the key terminology – this course will give them a basic knowledge and understanding of the financial terminology.
This course walks participants through key financial reports after discussing accounting processes. Some practical examples and exercises demonstrate the sources, uses, preparation and analyses of financial reports. As a final introductory comment - this course teaches what accountants do, how they do it and why they do what they do.
- Basic financial statements
- Standards and principles
- Accounting cycle
- Balance sheet
- Income statement
- Cash flow statement
- External accountants
- Risk management
- Terms and definitions
- Understanding why accountants do what they do
- Understanding basic financial statements
- Understanding accounting processes
Instructor: Wayne Newell
For over 35 years Wayne served in senior financial leadership roles and worked with companies throughout Canada, the United States and the Caribbean. His experiences and expertise, shared with many companies, has helped owners, managers, employees and businesses grow. In doing so, he has amassed a library of knowledge on what makes a successful contracting company.
During his seminars he discusses his experiences in implementing specific techniques, methods and strategies used to help contracting companies increase profits, control and/or reduce costs and improve cash flows. He has been presenting his exclusive seminars in major Canadian cities since 2003. He was awarded his CMA in 1972!
December 1, 2021 - 8:00am - 12:00am Pacific Standard Time (PST)
December 2, 2021 - 8:00am - 12:00am Pacific Standard Time (PST)
For support or inquiries, please email email@example.com or call 604-298-7795 during regular business hours.
Computer or laptop
- This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content (slides or videos), and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, cell-phones or tablets may not be adequate.
- Windows 10 or Mac iOS
- For a full list of Zoom’s requirements click here
- Downloading of the Zoom app will ensure a much faster experience https://zoom.us/support/download
- Webcam – in order to engage and collaborate, participants will be expected to have their webcams on for the duration of the class
- Internet connection - For best results, you will want to ensure you have an internet connection with an upload/download speed of 3-5 Mbps. You can test your internet speed here. Minimum recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps, but anything below 3 Mbps may result in loss of quality or buffering. Ideally hardwired connection versus wireless for stability - connect your computer directly to your router using an ethernet cable, rather than using your home wi-fi.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions - microphone will be engaged for interactive sessions. Please plan to be fully engaged in the class and clear your work schedule just as you would for the in-class program.
- Comfortable chair
COURSE REGISTRATION CANCELLATIONS, TRANSFERS & REFUNDS:
Cancellations received at least 7 business days prior to the webinar date will result in a full refund.
Registrants who do not attend/log into a webinar, and/or who do not notify ICBA of cancellation at least 7 full business days prior to the course date will be assessed the full cost of the webinar. There will be no refunds or credits in this case.
Substitution of attendees is permitted up to and including the day of the webinar.
COURSE CANCELLATION BY ICBA:
ICBA may have to postpone or cancel webinars due to insufficient enrolment, in which case ICBA’s liability will be limited to a refund of the registration fee.