Every road that you drive on, every school that you attend, every house that you live in and every hospital that you receive care at was designed and built by the people in the construction industry.
The Canadian construction industry is an exciting and fast paced environment that involves numerous stakeholders including Owners, Consultants, General Contractors, Subcontractors, manufacturers, and suppliers as well as those in the insurance, finance and inspection sectors.
This comprehensive workshop explores the complexity of the building construction industry by examining a project’s life cycle. You will participate in hands-on activities and examine every stage of the construction project process – from design to Owner occupancy:
6. Project Closeout
Whether you are new to the industry or have many years of construction experience under your tool belt, or you are administrative staff, operations or site staff, or if you support the industry as an allied professional, this workshop provides a foundational approach to understanding the construction industry.
Throughout the workshop you will understand how the pieces of a construction project all fit together and will gain valuable insight into the roles and responsibilities of the stakeholders as it all relates to the following:
Project Initiation & Design
- Preliminary assessment of budget and funding
- Developing the functional program and design
Tendering, bidding and contract award
- Competitive bidding process
- Tendering law in Canada
- How an estimate is developed
- Tender submission and opening
- Types of contract delivery methods
- Typical CCDC contracts
- Drawings and specifications
- Provincial lien act
- Breach of contract
- Construction law case studies
- Common contract terms and conditions
Project Delivery Methods
- CCDC contract delivery types
- Public-Private Partnerships (P3)
- Lean Construction
- Bonds and insurance
- Dispute resolution
- Changes to the contract
- Construction execution plan
- Subcontractor and supplier procurement
- Scope of work
- Project closeout submittals
- Substantial Performance
- Building turnover
- Wrapping up a project
Exclusive to this workshop is a comprehensive manual that is used as a reference and guide throughout the sessions. The manual is based on accumulated knowledge gathered over 40 years in the construction industry. It is a valuable and effective tool that will be your construction knowledge go-to.
Who Should Attend: Subcontractors, General Contractors, project managers/coordinators, superintendents, foremen, engineers, Owners, procurement professionals, operations and administration personnel in the construction industry.
Important Note: Computer or laptop with webcam and microphone (webcams are mandatory): This course will involve 100% on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content like slides or videos, and interacting via typing with questions or responses.
Instructor: Lee Kelly M.A.A.T.O., P.GSC
Lee Kelly M.A.A.T.O., P.GSC is Founder and President of Constructing Minds Inc., a company dedicated to providing relevant and applicable training to the construction industry.
Lee has boots on the ground experience. With over 40 years of construction
management/general contracting experience under her belt she has gained extensive knowledge and a solid foundation in construction practices, processes and procedures in all contract delivery formats in projects valued from $500,000 to $305mil. Lee knows construction because she has built it.
Lee has been a long serving member on the National Gold Seal Committee, has won the Construction Institute of Canada (TCIC) “Chancellor’s Award of Excellence” and has earned certificates in “Teaching and Training Adults” and “Instructional Design”.
Lee’s enthusiasm for training and the construction industry makes her a highly informative, interactive, motivated and sought-after Trainer and Consultant for contracting companies from coast to coast.
Four (4) morning sessions (3.5 hours each) over 4 days
- Day 1: Tuesday, September 14 9:00am-12:30am PDT
- Day 2: Wednesday, September 15 9:00am-12:30am PDT
- Day 3: Thursday, September 16 9:00am-12:30am PDT
- Day 4: Friday, September 17 9:00am-12:30am PD
This workshop is facilitated on the Zoom platform. Access information from the instructor will be provided to you in advance of the orientation and training.
Please contact Ally Bodnar at 604-298-7795 or email@example.com for more information.
Computer or laptop
- This course will involve on-screen interaction with your instructor and classmates, reading/viewing on-screen content (slides or videos), and interacting via typing with questions or responses. For this reason, cell-phones may not be adequate.
- Windows 10 or Mac iOS
- Webcam – This is mandatory! In order to engage and collaborate, participants will be expected to have their webcams on for the duration of the class
- Microphone - This is mandatory!
- Internet connection - For best results, you will want to ensure you have an internet connection with an upload/download speed of 3-5 Mbps. You can test your internet speed here. Minimum recommended speed is 1.5 Mbps, but anything below 3 Mbps may result in loss of quality or buffering. Ideally hardwired connection versus wireless for stability - connect your computer directly to your router using an ethernet cable, rather than using your home wi-fi.
- A quiet space with minimal distractions - microphone will be engaged for interactive sessions. Please plan to be fully engaged in the class and clear your work schedule just as you would for the in-class program.
- Comfortable chair
COURSE REGISTRATION CANCELLATIONS, TRANSFERS & REFUNDS:
Cancellations received at least 5 business days prior to the webinar date will result in a full refund.
Registrants who do not attend/log into a webinar, and/or who do not notify ICBA of cancellation at least 5 full business days prior to the course date will be assessed the full cost of the webinar. There will be no refunds, transfers, or credits in this case.
Substitution of attendees is permitted up to and including the day of the webinar.
COURSE CANCELLATION BY ICBA:
ICBA may have to postpone or cancel webinars due to insufficient enrolment, in which case ICBA’s liability will be limited to a refund of the registration fee.